Deep power differentials in OST

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Jul 20 10:10:38 PDT 2005

Hi, Harrison, Joelle and others -

(sorry for the delay in reply - I have been traveling and working away
from home and in and out of email access)

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

To clarify - I rarely assume that some folks need extra help to feel
their power, as OS brings them that.

And I usually counsel the host/sponsor/client not to do anything before
the space opens (no speeches, no need to 'weave people together', no
storytelling the night before [though I know this works for some of you
and I am open to it - I feel the OS brings the stories into the room,
and yes I've also seen storytelling work quite well], not even
introductions for the full group [because I have observed that going
around a circle before the things starts, people don't really listen,
and I'd rather get them into space - they remember each other fully from
their small-group conversations in Open Space].

And I also advise clients to invite for diversity.and keep inviting.and
keep looking at who is not there.and keep inviting.using multiple
methods.and bring into the site or the space those things which would
make it easier for those perceived of as being in minority or less power
those things that would help them feel equal.  Such as childcare.  Such
as free food coupons or pocket money.  Such as homestays. Transport.
Signage in their languages.  Food of their culture.  Whatever it takes.

However, in those very rare occasions where.say.a conference is about
young people, and there will be 500 adults and only 5 young people, and
where the vocabulary is very specific and unknown to those few precious
delegates. sometimes you do know this in advance.  For example, I opened
space for a statewide conference on policy for safety, health and
education for youth 0-18.  Hundreds and hundreds of adult delegates,
most of whom worked in agencies and governmental capacities - their
language was really policy-speak and legislature-speak.  25 young people
were invited.  And the host decided to bring them in a day early to give
them an amazing and creative workshop on developing policies for an
imaginary city, in a way that incorporated that vocabulary and some
concepts which would help them in the event.  And I helped them develop
a group poem defining the issues, the challenges and their hopes and
dreams for themselves (teens) and their children (many of them were
parents).   And this is what began the full conference - them presenting
their poem, in the center of the circle, facing outwards to speak this
to the hundreds of seated adult participants.  I found it to be very
young-person-delegate centered without condescending to them or assuming
they were of lesser power - on the contrary - they were the leaders (and
they were all along before any workshop or conference).

It is not about weakness or people having a lack of something it is our
job to enhance or provide pre-event  - I see it as totally different
than that - I see it as perfectly strong, rich, experienced and able
people being invited - and what tools might they like to feel
up-to-speed with the majority.  Or what data they need pre-event.  It's
an access issue to me, not a capability issue.

Thanks for this rich conversation,

Lisa
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator