Culture survey

Esther Ewing EwingChange at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 06:50:48 PDT 2005

Harrison and others;
I imagine that I was not entirely clear about my  needs. In fact, while I
need the elements of a culture survey (i.e. what kinds  of continua would you put
in one) I and my client have no intention of actually  surveying. Rather, it
is a talking point for facilitated conversations that one  of my clients needs
(with my help) to have with some others of the internal  folks. So I'm not
really setting out to do a big complicated culture survey. I'm  trying to arm my
client with some of the elements they need to consider which is  why I posted
to the list. I hoped that I would get some elements suggested by  the list
members.

Thanks
Esther

Esther -- Truth to tell, I am not much of  a survey person. Probably
emotional immaturity on my part, but in most cases I  find it gives me information I
(they) already knew or information that was  interesting but basically
irrelevant. And then of course there is the matter  of time and expense. I think it
(the survey) may also just set you up for  failure when it comes to making some
useful and needed change. What I have in  mind here is the fact that most
surveys I have seen give you results in bits  and pieces, where as culture is
always a "whole." Specifically, I  remember one massive survey done in a massive
organization -- which after many  months and mucho bucks came up with the
finding that, "We are a culture  of secrecy." Basically this translated into the
fact that nobody talked to  anybody else, and when they did it was usually to
supply mis-information. OK  -- Now what? Well I suppose you could do training of
various sorts --  communications, personal integrity etc. And they did just
that. Result? No  change. Except for lots more time and money down the hole
(into the  consultants' pockets). It finally became clear to folks that this
"problem"  had no single, simple solution. Every part of their life together
(culture)  either created or supported their malady. If you were going to do
something  useful, you would have to change everything all at once! How is that for
a  prescription for failure? A job you would rather not take on? Speaking just
 for myself -- this is a road I would not travel.

Alternative? Just do an Open Space. Or you  might call it Action Research.
Theme: "What are the issues and opportunities  for building a business we would
all like to be a part of?" Invite everybody  who cares -- and that could be a
lot of people. Results? -- Well I am sure you  can fill in the pieces, but. . .

First off, the organization will essentially  "map" itself. All those "issues
and opportunities" will be the critical  cultural issues, at least as the
people see it. I sometimes think of Open  Space as a community Rorschach Test.
Since there is no content to begin with  (just a question) whatever shows up is
what the people see. Also, the critical  issues will be in the language of the
people, not in some pseudo-psycho-babble  (pardon my bias). This becomes
important when you start to talk with folks.  They can actually understand what
you are talking about and do not have to  learn a whole new esoteric technical
language.

But most important (as I see it) -- they will  actually be the change they
seek. And it will have happened everywhere and all  at once. At least that was
the experience of the organization I was talking  about above. Suddenly all
those folks who knew that they were condemned to be  a, "culture of secrecy,"
experienced something radically different. In the  closing I noted this "fact,"
and followed up with, "Your culture change has  happened. You can continue and
get better -- or just go back and be miserable  the way you were. The choice
is yours." Sad to say, they chose to go back and  be miserable, or at least
most of them did. But they never could deny that  alternatives existed -- and the
smart ones (I think) sought those  alternatives, which in most cases meant
choosing alternative employment. But  they did have a choice.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD   20854