Culture survey

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sun Jul 17 04:59:56 PDT 2005

Esther -- Truth to tell, I am not much of a survey person. Probably emotional immaturity on my part, but in most cases I find it gives me information I (they) already knew or information that was interesting but basically irrelevant. And then of course there is the matter of time and expense. I think it (the survey) may also just set you up for failure when it comes to making some useful and needed change. What I have in mind here is the fact that most surveys I have seen give you results in bits and pieces, where as culture is always a "whole." Specifically, I remember one massive survey done in a massive organization -- which after many months and mucho bucks came up with the finding that, "We are a culture of secrecy." Basically this translated into the fact that nobody talked to anybody else, and when they did it was usually to supply mis-information. OK -- Now what? Well I suppose you could do training of various sorts -- communications, personal integrity etc. And they did just that. Result? No change. Except for lots more time and money down the hole (into the consultants' pockets). It finally became clear to folks that this "problem" had no single, simple solution. Every part of their life together (culture) either created or supported their malady. If you were going to do something useful, you would have to change everything all at once! How is that for a prescription for failure? A job you would rather not take on? Speaking just for myself -- this is a road I would not travel.

Alternative? Just do an Open Space. Or you might call it Action Research. Theme: "What are the issues and opportunities for building a business we would all like to be a part of?" Invite everybody who cares -- and that could be a lot of people. Results? -- Well I am sure you can fill in the pieces, but. . .

First off, the organization will essentially "map" itself. All those "issues and opportunities" will be the critical cultural issues, at least as the people see it. I sometimes think of Open Space as a community Rorschach Test. Since there is no content to begin with (just a question) whatever shows up is what the people see. Also, the critical issues will be in the language of the people, not in some pseudo-psycho-babble (pardon my bias). This becomes important when you start to talk with folks. They can actually understand what you are talking about and do not have to learn a whole new esoteric technical language.

But most important (as I see it) -- they will actually be the change they seek. And it will have happened everywhere and all at once. At least that was the experience of the organization I was talking about above. Suddenly all those folks who knew that they were condemned to be a, "culture of secrecy," experienced something radically different. In the closing I noted this "fact," and followed up with, "Your culture change has happened. You can continue and get better -- or just go back and be miserable the way you were. The choice is yours." Sad to say, they chose to go back and be miserable, or at least most of them did. But they never could deny that alternatives existed -- and the smart ones (I think) sought those alternatives, which in most cases meant choosing alternative employment. But they did have a choice.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854