Halifax: Advice for new international travelers

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Mon Jul 11 13:40:59 PDT 2005

Hi Doug -- Most stores, hotels, etc. here in Halifax accept US currency --
and have signs posted as to the conversion rate.  If you would like to have
some Canadian currency at hand, I've learned to convert at the bank.  I've
been doing a fair amount of international work lately and find the exchange
rate much better at banks than airports.  As the conversion rate fluctuates
constantly, some stores may be a day or two behind.

And, yes, credit cards are widely accepted!  Travellers going anywhere are
advised to carry written prescriptions and/or original pharmacy bottles --
possibly photocopies would do and then she could pack them away?

The US/Canadian borders now require Passport ID's -- up to a few months ago
we could use driver's licenses.

Trust this is of assistance.

Judi