Halifax: Advice for new international travelers

Jennifer Hurley JLHurley at hfadesign.com
Mon Jul 11 10:03:37 PDT 2005

Doug, in the last year I've traveled to Thailand, Cambodia, Bhutan, and
India, so I think I can offer some advice.

> Currency: Is it best to convert money at my home bank, at the airport, at a
> bank in Halifax, or just rely on merchants and vendors to properly convert
> my US Dollars?

I like to change some small amount of money at the airport, use my credit
card as much as possible, and change larger amounts of money either at a
bank where I'm traveling or the hotel (check the rates--some places hotels
are as good as the bank, and some places they really rip you off).

> Credit cards will be best for currency conversions for things like car
> rentals and meals and hotel, yes? But should I alert my credit card company
> about my travels ahead of the trip?

Credit cards have the best rates, but most charge 2-3% on the transaction.
That's usually still better than the cash rates.  DEFINITELY alert your
credit card company to your travels, or they may put a hold on your card
assuming that it's been stolen.

> Medicines: My wife has a whole pharmacy in the cabinet. Will it be
> necessary for her to carry the actual written prescriptions from her
> doctors with the medicines? Should she carry the original pharmacy bottles,
> or can she safely transfer her pills to something that packs more
> compactly? Are there medicines she cannot bring with her?

All the guide books say to bring copies of your prescriptions and leave
things in their original bottles.  I often ignore that advice completely and
have never had a problem.

> Is there anything else you can think we need to know or do to prepare?

Bring a couple of sets of photocopies of your passport, credit cards, and
plane tickets, just in case the worst happens and you lose them all.  I keep
one set in my suitcase and one set in my daypack.  It's never happened to
me, but it always makes me feel safer to have them.  I also leave a set with
a friend at home.

Have fun!
Jennifer Hurley
----------------
Hurley~Franks and Associates | Planning & Urban Design
1429 Walnut St., Ste. 601 | Philadelphia, PA 19102
P: 215-988-9440 | JLHurley at HFAdesign.com | http://www.hfadesign.com

Association for the New Urbanism in PennsylvaniA (ANUPA) |
http://www.anupa.org

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
and/or proprietary information.  If you have received this in error, please
contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from
any system it may be on.