London calling

Brendan Mckeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Sat Jul 9 22:25:29 PDT 2005

July 8, 2005
If It's a Muslim Problem, It Needs a Muslim Solution
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Yesterday's bombings in downtown London are profoundly disturbing. In part,
that is because a bombing in our mother country and closest ally, England,
is almost like a bombing in our own country.
I am now  more acutely aware that Africa is the Mother Country - in the
sense of the human species - the mother of us all - and while our MOTHER is
suffering, we will all feel the pain....I  hope that we can move beyond
selective 'tribalism' to include our connection with all life on MOTHER EARTH.

One of our Australian political leaders referred to the terrorists as
'sub-human filth' -  this type of demonising and monster-making will only
add to the justification for the perpetuation of the cycles of vengeance
and violence. Until we truly see that each of us is connected on this
planet - it will be difficult to create the space for authentic dialogue
with those who are different.

Gandhi said it well, in words that sounded like:
Unless I recognise that the evil that I see in my enemy also exists within me
and that the good that I know is within me also exists in my enemy,
I have no way of sustaining a commitment to nonviolent solutions.

This is for me one of the most powerful reasons for continuing to open
space for dialogue - naming the capacity for evil and hate within myself
and recognising the humanity of others - regardless of the acts of violence
they feel compelled - or inspired - to perpetrate

Peace to all
Brendan