fearlessly flying to Halifax

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:03:45 PDT 2005

I spent many, many hours digging for the cheapest possible flight from
Seattle to Halifax.

I started out planning to go by train to save money but it would have
taken almost a week in each direction, including a twenty four hour
layover at one point of the journey.  My train travel dream died hard.
 I would love to cross Canada in summer's peak daylight for best
viewing.  Then on the way back, I was going to cobble an itinerary of
art museums from east coast to west:  I need to see the new MOMA, I
want to see Mass MOCA again, I want to see the new Dia up the Hudson
River from Manhattan, I have never been to the Noguchi sculpture
garden in long island; I was going to catch the Warhol Museum once
more on my way through Pittsburg. Say what you will about the
importance of pop art, Andy Warhol was waycool.  I can and will enjoy
a day of whale-watching but when I dream of travel, it is art I dream
about.  I had myself all het up.    I have never been to the
Philadelphia Art Museum, which is home to Marcel Duchamp's last great
piece and I am a bit of a Duchamp junkie and my railpass would have
taken me to Philadelphia for free.  On this trip, I was also going to
see people I have known and loved along the way.  And art.  In my
mind's eye, I attended countless curator's talks about countless shows
sprinkled all across the U.S., linked by my rail pass.  I went to all
the galleries in Soho and Greenwich Village.  It was an amazing,
art-soaked binge.

But the Canadian rail system could not bend to my whims.  There were
no seats available on the days that worked.

So then I spend a kazillion hours saving money on airfare.  I found
the cheapest U.S. travel on www.orbitz.com.

I am stopping in Chicago on the way home, which is my hometown so the
Chicago art museums are my home art museums.

Maybe I am growing feeble-minded but my imaginary trip gave me a lot
of real pleasure.  It was so much fun to soar inside myself for a few
weeks of dreaming.

I know many of you would prefer that I had posted a one line email
with the obitz.com reference but I like to tell my stories.  Thanks
for reading.

--
Warmly,
Tree Fitzpatrick