How do you live in open space?

Lucas Gonzalez lgs0a at yahoo.es
Thu Jan 27 02:55:35 PST 2005

A book might be written cooperatively using, just as an example,
mediawiki + primarilypublicdomain + some software used to make things
easier.

1) Mediawiki is the software behind http://www.wikipedia.org and can be
used for the purpose of creating such a "book".  If participants here
would care to cooperatively create an index, then fill it in with
messages taken from the list or with original/new contributions ...  it
might be done.  Then of course, people might also use their two feet to
go somewhere else.  One unpredictable issue is How many people would
participate?  A small self-organised team might go for a small project,
and scale up if more people e-congregate.

There are other things different from Mediawiki.  The OST community has
long had wikis - that could be used to try the book idea out.

2) Primarily Public Domain http://www.primarilypublicdomain.org means
"public domain except noted".  We can't assume past postings in this
list are like that, so Editors would have to ask permission to each
contributor whose contributions to the list are used in the "book".
Maybe there could be a "policy change" from now on, and state that
postings to this list are "public domain except noted".  All my
postings here are like that, so no need to ask me!

3) There's a computer program (for those who like such details, it's a
Perl script) that makes it easy to download all the messages in a
yahoogroup.  I would think a similar thing could be done with OSLIST,
if and only if someone is interested in having all the messages in
their local computers to fish some threads and compose some chapters.

Any other issues worth considering for such a task?  We may all walk
around the idea, touching it with a very long stick, and pretending
we're not really interested.  But comments might help those with enough
passion about the idea to, maybe, try it out.  (No, not me.)

In fact, I'd think we're much more interested in "helping write
reality", so to speak.

Lucas

Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es