? on chosing a facilitator - Isr - Pal Open Space

Carol Daniel Kasbari carol at crosswinds.net
Mon Jan 24 14:05:48 PST 2005

Dear Zachary,

Luckily you are using OS to facilitate this sensitive and complex group of
people. In other methods of facilitating an Israeli Palestinian group I
would say that the facilitator's identity is crucial to the success of the
encounter. But OS is a very neutral and smart method that put the group and
the issue in the center and no the facilitator. From my experience as a
Palestinian inside Israel and as a facilitator working with Israeli
Palestinian conflict groups, OS seems to be the most suitable tool for me to
open the most sensitive issues from this conflict without having to take
sides or hurt anyone when opening the space.
Just half a year ago, I took a Jewish American wonderful woman, Peggy
Holman, to Palestine to train Palestinian educators the Appreciative Inquiry
Method, it was a marvelous experience both for her and for the participants.
They discussed the issue of improving their life and living with the
occupation with the knowing that the facilitator was Jewish, and it didn't
effect the 3 day training at all. They were looking for the positive side of
the occupation! The secret was that the space was so open that it enabled
the inclusion of all differences of religion, race and identity.
I believe you can pick up any of the mentioned facilitators and he/she could
do great job if he/she could keep the space open no matter how provocative
it could be. Soon enough, the group will forget about the facilitator and
will be busy with each other.
In any case I wouldn't put two facilitators in this sensitive situation, it
will only distract the group from the real thing. Putting two facilitators
when using OS in midst of conflicted group that is not familiar with the
method or with each other, will only demonstrate that each one of them is
taking one of the sides and none of them could be neutral or open anymore. I
would do that only when the group is already formed and have met before and
familiar with OS.
Hope I have helped a bit, wish you all best and success,

Carol Daniel Kasbari, Facilitator of OS in Israel and Palestine