thanks on facilitator identity question

Zachary Metz ZacharyMetz at cicr.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 26 09:40:57 PST 2005

Hello all - I just wanted to thank all who gave their input on my question regarding the "identity" and OS facilitator question. As we developed our approach we took many of the inputs into consideration. In the end we decided that the person on our team who was least involved in the conflict, from the perspective of identity, would take on the facilitator role. This had the added benefit of allowing those of us who do feel a closer connection to be involved as participants. Given external circumstances we now have several months more to conceptualize a possible Open Space, so the thinking will continue to evolve.

I do believe the identity (any kind of identity) of the OS facilitator has a significant impact on the experience of the group, just as the space itself, the host, the group gathered, etc. has an impact. I would welcome further dialogue on these themes, and I am happy to post more as my own thinking evolves.

Thanks again to all who shared their wisdom. Be well, Zachary Metz