France Explores Open Space Technology Training

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Wed Jan 5 11:41:44 PST 2005

As we reflect upon the new year we do look back at the past year and in
doing so my experience in giving Open Space training in France this automn
stood out and I thought I'd share bits of the story. The consultants' team
who organized the workshop and is now active in facilitating OS events in
France is called Ockham www.ockham.fr. From what could be gathered from
their network, this was possibly the first OST training of this kind in
France. This group of consultants gathered near Paris for a three-day
training to which they invited some of their clients from the fields of
communications technology, auto manufacturing and heavy equipment
production.

We began by looking at how OST can be explained to a client. In order to
experience the method, participants chose a theme that had real meaning for
them and proceeded to do the preparation for the event. Their passion for
this theme was made evident by the depth of the conversations and by the
commitment reflected in their action plans later on during the convergence
phase of the process. They completely set aside their “training hat” and let
themselves fully live their OST event.

During the debriefing, leadership, vision, community and management were
examined through the lense of the OS experience. Various options for
convergence processes were presented, the reflection went deeper on the
roles of the facilitator and leader and finally participants addressed their
various “how-to” questions. Theory was intermingled with practice throughout
the workshop.

“I had certain doubts at the outset but I leave delighted about the
training
and the possibilities of the OST method,” one participant said.
Others saw the potential of this approach not only to produce measurable
results but more importantly, to transform interpersonal relationships which
are instrumental in creating and sustaining healthy and high performing
organizations.

Several participants were already planning an OS event, with groups of 10,
150 and even 800. One has since successfully integrated the approach in the
second part of a team training day by letting participants chose what they
wanted to discuss about team work. “The client was a bit scared of the
emptiness and the disorganisation but at the end was enchanted by the
results,” he reported. The excitement this participant demonstrated at the
OS training has gone up several notches since then. Another informed me
yesterday that having lead an OS in the context of another team building
session, he feels very confident for one he will soon be doing in a
university context.

For my part, I could not have hoped for a more pleasant and gratifying
experience. A great camaraderie developed as we all enjoyed the richness of
experience in the room as well as the different terminologies, colloquial
expressions and accents coming from both sides of the ocean and also from
different regions of France.  The workshop allowed us all to enhance our
knowledge and also gave us the opportunity to share stories around a good
glass of wine and exquisite food, a much appreciated custom of our French
cousins.

Diane

Diane Gibeault CPF / FPA

Diane Gibeault & Associé.es – Associates
www.dianegibeault.com   diane.gibeault at rogers .com
Ottawa Canada (613) 744-2638

Facilitation and Training in Support of Transformation
Facilitation et formation en appui à la transformation