Help for my manager, (Crazy like a fox)

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 08:59:09 PST 2005

Mike Wrote: I have thought about this phenomenon a great deal, as I live in
an org and with the stench of dead moose all around! I think perhaps people
are comfortable with the stink as long as they can hold onto their ego,
power or control. When we as an org use less open formats for our meetings
and gatherings I sub consciously go into a naughty school boy routine. I'm
expected to sit passively and swallow what is going to happen. Perhaps, now
I've sampled the sweet aroma of open space, I am yelling "open the bloody
window I can't stand it any longer!"

It is totally amazing to me the extent to which people will tolerate a state
of absolute misery in the name of preserving ego, power and control. It is
often said they don't have a choice (mortgage, kids, etc) but we all have a
choice, however we may not be prepared to deal with the consequences of that
choice. However, in a totally tragic fashion they typically end up with
consequences as bad, or worse, than the ones they were seeking to avoid!
Nasty things like burnout, substance abuse, breakdown and the like. And it
is not just about the "human side" of all of this - but even in the area of
profit and business growth you see the same sorts of things. I sometimes
think that people are positively frightened to death that they might succeed
- that they might actually make a lot of money! We all know that when people
are turned loose (some real Open Space) the possibility space is simply
mind-boggling, and yet in the name of preservation of power and control all
that possibility space is avoided - to the ultimate detriment of the bottom
line. Weird!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: