Between stimulus and response

Christine Whitney Sanchez milagro27 at cox.net
Wed Feb 23 21:33:27 PST 2005

Re: Between stimulus and responseHi George,

I agree wholeheartedly with your thought that Open Space can help to
increase the space between stimulus and response. This may paradoxically
occur when we have the opportunity to experiment with being fully impulsive
by following our initial impulse as to where we want to learn or contribute
and then "change our minds" by using the law of two feet. This can be quite
"mind altering" by increasing awareness of ones own habits of mind and
behavior so that the next time we participate in Open Space, we can be much
more conscious of that space Covey is talking about.

As an Open Space facilitator, practicing "one more thing not to do" has
definitely increased the space between stimulus (such as marketplace
negotiations taking a very long time, which could result in the first
session going beyond the start of lunch) and my old habitual response (to
remind people of the time and prompt people to hurry). Each time I let go
and practice the principle of whenever it starts is the right time, more
space opens inside my own consciousness as well as in the Open Space
meeting.

Thanks for bringing this insight to the list.

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez
Triune Milagro, LTD
480.759.0262
VISIT OUR WEBSITE:  www.triunemilagro.com

Invoking the wisdom and capacity of the human spirit!