os with elderly care communities

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 09:43:45 PST 2005

Never did anything with elder care communities -- but something pretty
close. About 8 years ago, the Northwest Regional Advisor Council for the
AARP (American Association of Retired People) decided they needed to focus
their mission, purpose, and program. Open Space was the chosen vehicle. The
council consisted of some 150 people with an average age of 70+ (actually
more on the plus side.) Space opened, and everything happened as usual, but
I was a little worried about the reports. We were using computers, and for
many of the people involved, a computer was a new and different thing. Most
could type, but a computer....????

Anyhow the reports started to come in, and I passed by the Newsroom. There a
wonderful lady, obviously in her early 80s, confronted the machine,
surrounded by mounds of flip chart paper. Not only was this her first time
out, but she happened to have posted *THE* issue, and many people had lots
to say. I wondered, and passed on my way. Sometime later I came back just to
check. She was obviously making progress, but in a way that pained me. Using
a large magnifying glass to see the screen, she punched in her report, one
finger at a time.

I watched for a moment, and then did what I never would do ordinarily. I
came up to her and offered to help. She didn't quite hear me at first, but
when she did -- her response was surprising. She turned on me like a mother
guarding her children and said, "No young man. I will type my own report!"

I tipped my hat and went on my way. And John, No worries! Works just
wonderful.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: