Help for my manager, resend (Crazy like a fox)

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 07:57:36 PST 2005

Hi Paul - Welcome back from the Black Hole. I guess I should come clean. The
"Young Manager" is in fact a figment of my imagination, although he seems to
have taken on flesh and blood here on OSLIST. Which all goes to prove that
OSLIST is even more remarkable that I thought. But if the manager was
mythical, I would argue that he is mythical in the deepest sense of the
word. Well beyond truth or non-truth, fact or fiction, he is every bright
young manager - and I would bet we all know such a person, maybe several. In
a word, the story may be a "hypothetical" but the situation is quite real.
More to the point, I believe we have something to contribute to his
situation well beyond Open Space. Far be it for me to say a nasty word about
Open Space, and I personally think it is quite true that his first step with
the new project might actually be to Open Space and invite all who care to
come - but there is more. And it is towards that "more" that I am driving.

During the 20 year experiment with Open Space in which we have all played a
part, a number of things have been learned, among them - How you can
consciously and effectively operate in a Self-Organizing system. For many
people who have not had this experience, our practice and achievements (what
actually happens in OS, even if we didn't "do" it.) are viewed either as
crazy or magic. Both words have been used in my presence, and I suspect that
most of you could say the same. People who only hear about Open Space
perceive it as "crazy" because it flies in the face of all (or most) that
they know to be true. And when a group of folks (us) become very excited
about something that any sane person knows could not happen - that is crazy.
Other people, who basically hold the same sorts of views as the first group
(OS can not happen according to all standard rules and procedures) and
suddenly find themselves in an Open Space where the "impossible" happens
with regularity, will call it "magic." I suppose we could just retire and
enjoy our status as crazy magicians. Or maybe we should be crazy like a fox?
Foxy, as it were.

For those of you who have never met a fox, up close and personal, it is
probably useful to know that these beautiful animals engage in a lot of
playful, weird behavior which seemingly has nothing to do with the primary
business at hand - which is usually catching dinner. More than a few bunny
rabbits have been fooled.

Anyhow - Crazy like a Fox?  Just suppose that my wild idea that there is no
such thing as a non-self-organizing system was correct. Add in the fact that
for "most people" this idea is crazy at worst and magic at best - but
unfortunately the idea just happened to be true. This would mean that "most
people" were playing the organizational game with rules that looked very
nice on paper, but had little to do with reality. The fact that such people
sometimes succeeded in their game would have nothing to do with their skill
or perception (after all they were playing by the wrong rules), but rather
the happy coincidence that the system they were seeking to manage and
control in a certain way was already going in that direction - all by
itself. In all other situations where no matter how hard they tried to
exercise their management skills and things turned out very differently,
there would be no mystery - they just had played by the wrong rules!

Enter the Fox! She plays by the real rules (which others don't see or
understand), achieves extraordinary things in the most mystifying way - and
everybody just thinks she is crazy. Crazy like a fox.  Talk about
competitive advantage!

So Paul - I didn't forget you. When you said, "But, about the
self-organizing to write a new software program, that seems really iffy.
Software requires strategy, discipline and right code, not something that
very easily emerges from no structure.  Even Chaos, with it's structure of
bounded instability, can't predict what the outcome will be or when it will
emerge.  Only that something will." I certainly agree. And in fact, so would
most people. And if it should ever happen that good software were to emerge
from a self-organizing (Open Space) environment we would definitely have an
anomaly, even a crazy anomaly. Even worse, if all this should happen in
record time, the race to the bottom line would be won hands down, and the
competition would never understand how it happened. Crazy like a fox.

Now in fact I have seen just such things occur (complex systems developed
with excellence in fractions of the expected/normal time). And a number of
the participants called it Magic! But I didn't think it was magic at all. It
is simply what Complex Adaptive Systems do when treated in the right way.
And on your point of "no structure," what I witnessed was just the opposite.
There was a level of structure and controls operative that just blew the
mind. The difference was that the structures and control were all emergent
and appropriate, appropriate to the people involved, the task they were
performing, and the environment in which they worked. And when any of those
three variables changed, the structure and controls changed virtually
instantaneously. In a word, the structures and controls actually supported
the operation instead of being an arbitrary "Lay-on" - which more often than
not stands in the way of truly productive work.

So how do we teach (enable/encourage) our mythical young manager, and all
his "real" brothers and sisters to be crazy like foxes?

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: