Help for my manager

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Tue Feb 22 06:05:06 PST 2005

I have used OST for requirements definition in the development of
software.  A group of Children's Aid Societies and a vendor of a
particular piece of software they all use decided to develop a legal
services package.  They together hired a business analyst with
substantial experience to finalize the requirements definition for the
new system.  We began the process by bringing together the key business
units in the agencies with a stake in the legal package - lawyers, front
line staff, managers, the IT departments and the executives together
with the vendor and his team.  After some initial framing, they all met
in open space to discover the critical requirements for a successful
package.  We did convergence to set priorities.  The "expert" analyst
found the discussions most useful - some things were more important or
more complex that he had understood.  It changed how he took the
guidance and developed the specific IT requirements for the package.
The vendor also understood the situation better.

I'll likely be doing something similar with another client in the near
future.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation