Management in a World of Turtles

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 08:45:24 PST 2005

Tine -- What a wonderful story, and I am sure the young manager would do
well to heed the Wisdom of the Turtle. But I am not quite sure he would get
it, and maybe would need a little more help.

It could be that my short story is the wrong one, at the wrong time and
place. In short it does not strike a responsive chord, and therefore, fails
to excite any creative thoughts and suggestions from this illustreous crowd
(yourself excluded, of course!). However lacking the story may be, I find
the situation presented to be a critical one in my work, and suspect it may
be a tender point in the work of others as well.

It may well be the case that full acceptance of the totality of
self-organization (being turtles all the way down) is not something
everybody feels comfortable with -- or even gives credence to. And quite
obviously it is very hard to comment on something that seems off the wall
and beside the point. As you may have gathered, I am not conflicted with
such reservations, which may just be my problem. OK -- I am stuck with it.
But it seems to me that every time we participate in a gathering that
includes young managers (in fact any managers, young or old) the story comes
up again, although perhaps in slightly different format.

Typically (my experience) the Company gathers to do the business (develop
new product, plan for the future, resolve a knotty organizational problem)
and everything works out just fine. The task is done in record time, people
experience their own value and worth, they even (usually) have fun. And by
the end there is a wonderful glow combined with a gnawing sense of
dis-belief. What happened just should not have happened AND there is the
painful reality of Monday Morning just waiting to be experienced!

Many folks will handle this discontinuity by saying, "Oh well -- this (OS)
was just a special occasion. On Monday we go back to reality." I suspect
that we (OS practitioners) may even encourage this mental strategy, even
though we didn't suggest it. I have found myself saying something like, "Oh
yes, you will find OS wonderful -- and when you get back to the real
world..." Some of us also try to protect our guests by having conversations
with the "Senior Management" about the care and feeding of returnees. It
seems to me that the implication might be that the folks are coming back
from some place out of this world. I can understand that such conversations
seem like the responsible and charitable thing to do -- but there are, in my
view, significant downsides.

A major downside is to essentially call into question the positive
experience and feelings of personal worth encountered in Open Space. Nobody
ever would say it just this way, but the implication might be -- "You are a
very special person here in this special environment, but don't get up your
hopes. On Monday it is back to the salt mines!"

A second downside is that practical strategies and approaches to effective
work that have been "learned" (experienced) in Open Space are also
invalidated. After all, once back at the shop it should be business as
usual.

And then -- if my wild conjecture that it really is "Turtles all the way
down," is true in some significant way it would turn out that Open Space is
the reality -- and "back at the shop" is simply a distorted and
uncomfortable perversion. And further, that the pain and dysfuncton that
many (most?) experience in the standard place of work happens not because
people are not being nice, loving, respectful (all true), but fundamentally
because the nature of the organization is understood in the wrong way. What
is perceived as the machanical creation of an executive design team, to be
closely controlled and dominated by the liberal use of arbitrary power -- is
actually nothing of the sort. It is in fact an open, living, self-organizing
system. In such a situation the application of arbitrary power is at best a
waste of time, and at worst, a really destructive move. If we have learned
anything from the 20 year experiment with Open Space it is that the only
sure-fire way to mess it up is to think you are in charge (read --
application of arbitrary power)!

Anyhow, I am hoping for some sharing of thoughts, experiences and strategies
which might enable us to take full advantage of what we have learned in Open
Space, and more to the point -- to enable others to do the same.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: