Turtles - self-organization

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 08:29:38 PST 2005

Mayke Wrote: I do agree that the smaller the system is the more obvious
self-organization can be, i.e. the bigger the influence of a single
individual or organizational unit can be. But even in large, slow-moving
organizations people have come up with amazing strategies  - constructive or
destructive - in order to influence their environment.

I am not sure that it much to do with the size of an organization. After
all, how big is big? In a self-organizing world, it is all fractal, so that
even the "smallest" parts have virtually an infinity of space. There is the
old saw about how long is the coast of England (or any island)? The answer,
it turns out is totally dependant upon the unit of measure. If you use a
meter - then the answer would be X,000 meters long. But if the unit of
measure were to be a quark (if a quark even has dimension) the answer might
be pretty close to infinity.  And when it comes to moving an organization in
new and different directions - a tiny touch in the right time and place can
do it. After all, how powerful is that butterfly in Thailand who keeps
changing the weather patterns in California? I think we need to look more
closely at not only the limits of individual "power," but also the
potential. I always find it strange and wonderful that in an Open Space it
is often the case that the lowest person on the organizational totem pole,
who asks what is perceived to be a "dumb question" - can often shift the
entire enterprise. And how did he/she do that?

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: