Turtles (short)

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 07:40:37 PST 2005

Masud

I see where you are going, but would suggest that the real issue is what I
might call "degrees of freedom" -- or maybe better the "size" of the
possibility space. With financial systems, for example, it is quite true
that the system, as originally put in place, was designed by someone -- or
some several ones. The intent is always to limit the degrees of freedom or
possibility space. This is known as having "tight financial controls."
However, once the system in place and begins to interact with all the
environmental factors known as users, auditors, government rules and
regulations, rise and fall of the currency markets etc. -- the process of
self-organization begins again as the total system (including all of the
above -- users -- and much more)interact and "search for fitness." I am not
an accountant, but as a user of some fairly large systems (I used to work
for the US federal government), I have never seen a system that worked the
way it was designed, and in fact if attempts were made to totally restrict
the degrees of freedom, the system typically shut down (died).

I believe we can see the same sort of thing operative in other, supposedly
man-made, "closed systems." For instance software. You might think that the
degrees of freedom in a piece of software would be small to non-existent,
and yet there is always a shakedown period as the system "stabilizes." And
some (most) of them never fully hit stasis. By the way, I don't really think
there is any such thing as a "CLOSED SYSTEM" either.

So from where I sit, it is still true that there is no such thing as a
non-self-organizing system. However there are large differences in degrees
of freedom (possibility space). With a small space, the ongoing adaptive
process may appear miniscule, but it is still taking place. And when it
stops, the system is dead -- just like the organic counterparts.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: