Open Space & Anti-Americanism

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Sun Feb 6 05:41:18 PST 2005

Dear Alan,
even though I love questions more than answers, here is an answer to
your question:
The way it is usually quoted is a space closing, no more arguments
needed, shut up .... argument.
The actual quote instead is a space opener, very disturbing, calling
for action...perhaps even un-american.
No wonder, it came from a German Immigrant who had to leave his
native country because of his involvement in the German Revolution of
1848. He kept meddling in political affairs in the US fighting
slavery, fought in the Union Army while his wife opened the first
kindergarten in the US and perpetrated other subversive stuff.
Lets keep going on opening space in the same spirit that moved old
Carl to his great uttering.
>From an expatriate in Berlin
mmp

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:18:16 -0500, Alan Klein wrote:

>Interestingly, the original quote came from U.S. Senator Carl Schurz who, on
>February 29, 1872, made the following remark on the floor of the Senate:
>
>"..My country; and my country is the great American Republic. My country,
>right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
>(The Congressional Globe, vol. 45, p. 1287)
>
>No one seems to ever think to quote the whole thing. Not in this war...not
>during the Vietnam War. I wonder why?
>
>~Alan Klein

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg i.G.
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
www.boscop.de   www.michaelmpannwitz.de

Check out the new Open Space World Map now with 169 Open Space Workers in 37 countries
www.openspaceworldmap.org