Is trust a part of open space?

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 13:36:18 PST 2005

From: Harrison Owen [mailto:hhowen at comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 7:24 AM
To: 'Therese Fitzpatrick'
Subject: RE: Is trust a part of open space?

Therese -- I don't think it is so much a question of talking about Trust or
not -- but WHEN that conversation might take place. I would suggest that
talking about it in the introduction won't help all that much. And more to
the point, the more you say up front, the longer it takes for the people to
move into action. From where I sit the issue is not about hearing good words
about Trust, but rather BEING the trust they long for. And that state of
trusting, being trusted and trustworthy is, I think the majority experience
in Open Space -- no words needed. But there is a problem here as well. The
feeling of trust (as indeed all the other interesting things that happen in
open Space) usually comes along unannounced. It is often the case that
people just do not realize how far they have come in Open Space. What may
have felt strange in the beginning quickly becomes natural -- and hence
un-noticed. So. I think there is a real gain in bringing all those "changes"
to mind at the end, by way of reflection. This doesn't have to be a several
hour activity (which nobody would stand still for) -- indeed it can all be
accomplished quite quickly. After all when you have had the experience, you
don't have to go on about it, just have to note and acknowledge it. For
myself, I often use the Medicine Wheel as a template for reflection. I ask
the community to think about how it was that Leadership, Vision, Community,
and Management showed up in their time together -- and to notice what was
different or strange. They always seem to "get it." (If you are interested
in more about the Medicine Wheel and my approach -- take at look at the
section in The User's Guide.)

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: