research (Open Space in Construction)

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 05:16:40 PST 2005

Lise – seems to me the first thing is to be very clear about what all the
formal planning on a project does AND DOES NOT do. It seems to me that all
the PERT charts, GANT charts, project management protocols are very useful
in terms of setting the project direction, parameters, and making sure that
the appropriate tools and supplies are on hand. All that is a map of the new
territory to be explored (the possibility space). I think where we get in
trouble is when we confuse the map with the territory. The map will get you
to the start of the journey, point out some things that you might be looking
for – but the actual journey (building the building) is self organizing all
the way, I think.  It is therefore not so much about “adding” Open Space to
the equation, but rather recognizing that the moment the first shovel full
of dirt is turned – you are already in Open Space. The question then becomes
how do you navigate in the most effective and efficient fashion. I think it
is precisely here that Open Space Technology, and the general experience
with Open Space can be very helpful. Putting it all in slightly different
terms, I would be very careful not to throw the baby out with the bath
water. The formal elements of the project have their place, and an important
one -- but they never really describe what happens along the way, or even
(probably) what should happen along the way.

 Good Luck! This sounds wonderful. Can’t wait to hear more.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: