Help for My Manager-law of the jungle

Mike Copeland mcopeland at doc.govt.nz
Sun Feb 20 13:15:52 PST 2005

This is a great case study Harrison.

I feel prompted to share some musings.

Open space has helped me re define the old adage about the law of the jungle
which is widely interpreted to mean "only the fittest survive." Taking your
young manager he has this opportunity to take his "fitness" to another
level. There is a recognised business path to do it and this is the law of
the jungle operating in today's business world.

Open space is people being guided by their passions (posting topics) and
natural attractions (market place), the most natural act of all living
things. This to me is the law of the jungle! This is how we get eco-systems
(action plans) and species occupying niches (champions) within these.
Indeed, for me open space is creating an oraganisational eco-system that is
merely mimicking nature.

The phenomenon of people going into freedom shock with open space, (I've
seen plenty of it in my organisation) suggests that our societal systems,
especially our work cultures, are actually the opposite of the law of the
jungle and hence open space. This is what I'm finding in so much of my work,
especially in sustainable systems. The most sustainable ones really only
mimic nature.

My suggestion to your young manger friend is:
He is tired of the old path and indeed has to compromise his integrity to
make open space look like the old path; get out and make your own path!

"The insecure way is the secure way and the secure way is the insecure way"

Joseph Campbell

Mike Copeland

P.S. I will watch this space with great interest as I am leaving my job at
present and embarking on a journey of my own, which I'm not too sure what it
is except I had to get out of my present job. I'm not too sure this bloke
even exists, but I know how he feels and this whole message is very timely
if only for myself!