Photos from an Open Space in a traditional west coast Big House

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 21:36:25 PST 2005

Hi folks...last weekend, I facilitated an open space meeting at the
big house in Fort Rupert, up near the northerly tip of Vancouver
Island, Canada.  The building is 40 high inside with four huge carved
house poles, 12 feet around.  There is a big fire burning in the
middle and the room was full of the smell of smoke and cedar.

I thought you might enjoy some photos of our meeting in this amazing
place here.  Normally cameras aren't allowed in the big house, but an
exception was made for this gathering so that the word could get out.

The photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31354844@N00/sets/103725/

This was the first of five Aboriginal youth gatherings we are doing
around British Columbia to support and catalyze Aboriginal youth
leadership in communities.  You can see in these photos that there are
Elders and leaders present in these sessions.  They are central to
this process as they are able to both provide guidance and learn what
these amazing young people are prepared to do to take responsibility
for the future of their communities.

Cheers,

Chris

--