OST with less than 25 words

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Dec 16 20:17:58 PST 2005

thanks to you, marei, for sweeping all those things up together.  andto you ashley, for taking it one more step.  every time the story ofthese things, or anythings gets retold it changes.  it loses somethings, occasionally gains a few, more interesting <grin> details...and if we are luck, it gains some speed too.  online we can alway linkback to the original... that is such a luxury!
and as for this notion of short blog posts being not in the spirit ofopen space, i most definitely and respectfully disagree.  when i opena space, i invite anyone who wants to, nobody has to, butanyone who wants to, to come forward, take a marker and a paper andwrite some issue or opportunity they are passionate about. i ask themto put their name on the paper, and then to come to the microphone...where i ask them to say two and only two things... "my name is... "and "my issue is..."  i don't ask or allow speeches.  there simplyisn't time.  they are often excited about explaining their issues andmostly we try not to have them do that in that opening moment.  inever find that to diminish the spirit nor to offend anyone.
i rather think of these blog posts in the same way.  they are seeds,the beginnings of issues, and they are chock full of links to otherthings... whole conversations.  in this case, my post will definitelybe linked to this whole conversation.  so this is why i think theshort postings are just fine... they're just the beginnings... justthe issues that lead to rich conversations in other places.
and if the way the blog turns out means that some people like it andjump in, and others don't and go elsewhere, tree is exactly right...that's okay.  it's just the law of two feet all over again.
thanks again to all... michael

On 12/16/05, ashley cooper <mail.easilyamazed at gmail.com> wrote:> Thanks Alan. ? added!>>  Tree,>>  I can understand that it could feel like an encroachment upon your space to> know that someone else is editing your words. I also felt a little akward> skimming the post down. I reassured myself, however, when I likened myself> to a journalist. The OSW weblog is more of a way to alert people to things> that are happening in the Open Space world... OS News. What I've written is> my story about this conversation. The weblog provides a different type of> visibility and awareness to the wealth of information that is unfurling in> this listserve and in the OSW wiki. I will provide a link to this email> discussion which will allow an interested reader to find the full text of> each of these emails. Another beauty of weblogs is that the comment boxes> are directly attached. You can always leave a comment if you feel that> you've been misquoted and if needed, a correction can be made.>>  Ashley>>> On 12/16/05, Tree Fitzpatrick <therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com> wrote:> > Ashley, it does not seem to be in the spirit of open space to keepposts> short on the os weblog.  A blog is not exactly a wiki.  Space isshut down> for me when I know somehow (who is the 'we' tryin to keepposts short and who> gave them power over other people's words) else isediting.  It's okay to> take your approach but you will lose mycontribution, which is also okay.> But I have learned over the yearsthat if something inhibits the flow of my> energy, it has the sameeffect on others.> > No one has the power to edit posts to this list and it seems to workout.> Just thinking aloud.> >> >> > On 12/16/05, ashley cooper <mail.easilyamazed at gmail.com> wrote:> Thanks> Marei,>>  We're trying to keep the length of posts at the osw weblog rather> short.> I've done a bit of editing and will post these words to the weblog> tomorrow.>>  warmly (in cold seattle),>  ashley>>>> OSlist members define> Open Space Technology with 25 words or less (having> fun and getting> creative!):>> Open Space Technology is surprisingly simple high performance> system,> bounding passion with responsibility. ~Mikk Sarv,>> Do you like to> be in conversations in this community where you feel alive,> inspired,> connected, surprised, engaged, and empowered? Well, that's what> happens in> open space. ~Jack Ricchiuto>>>>  Do you yearn to be in conversations about> questions that matter where you> feel alive, inspired, connected, surprised,> engaged, empowered, responsible> and open to possibility. Well, that's what> happens in open space.  ~Alan> Stewart>>>> Open Space enables groups of any> size to organize the!> > mselves to deal with> complex, important issues and accomplish something> meaningful by inviting> people to take responsibility for what they love.> ~Peggy Holman>>>> Open Space combines the rigor of a great board meeting> with the energy of> conversation around a coffee pot. ~John Rapp>>>  Open> Space Technology>  ...is a simple way to run productive meetings, with five> to 2000+>  people, and a powerful way to lead any kind of organization, in>> everyday practice and ongoing change.  ~Michael Herman>>>  Open space is a> lot like tofu, which can be used in countless ways>  because it readily> absorbs the flavors and spices of anything.  ~ Tree> Fitzpatrick>>>> Getting> people to work on stuff that really matters.>> Creating and immediately> implementing high performance work teams.>> Harnessing the power of Spirit> to bring meaningful work to our community.>> Discerning what's most> important and taking responsibility for it.>> Onion Skin Technology...peel> back the layers and it make!> > s you cry...but cook> it up and it gets sweet and juicy. ~Chris> Corrigan>>>> How about "Open Space is the WD-40 of group work. One shot will> loosen up> just about anything." (For those not in the know – WD-40 is a> marvelous> universal solvent. ~Harrison Owen>>>> Open Space can do more than> a personal development training, a creativity> workshop and a big company> party altogether: people evolve, they really> connect with each other and> they create great results ~ all at the same> time, naturally coming from> within.  ~Marei Kiele>>>> >> > --Warmly,Tree Fitzpatrick> >> > *> > *> >> ==========================================================> > OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> > ------------------------------> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options,> > view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu :> > http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html> >> > To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:> > http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist> >>>

--
Michael HermanMichael Herman Associates300 West North Ave #1105Chicago IL 60610 USAPhone: 312-280-7838http://www.michaelherman.commherman@globalchicago.net
Executive Facilitation ...gettingthe most important things done inthe easiest possible ways.