Story of a one day OST with youth

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Dec 9 14:47:50 PST 2005

Hi Marei...

On 12/9/05, Marei Kiele <MareiKiele at web.de> wrote:

> Dear Chris and all,
>
> catching up on reading recent mails I read yours today. I can sense that
> the combination of art and OST you describe had a special energy and power.
> What I didn't get fully clear is how exactly both parts where combined in
> terms of the form of the event itself.
>
> Who invited them to create the piece of art? Was the creating part of the
> OST or done before?

As the focus groups were unfolding leading up to the OS, youth participants
were invited to attend both a day of creating art and the OS day.  The
Friday was the day of creating the performance, facilitated by the project
leaders.  The intention was to create a short performance that would capture
the essence of the learnings from the project so that these could be
presented to the adults coming for the OST.  It was felt that this would be
a more powerful invitation than beginning the day with a power point
presentation on the project findings, and it was very engaging for youth
because it got them intouch with their energy, initiative, and passion.

On the day of the OS, we began with the performance as a way of centering
and extending the invitation.  Then we opened space.  It wasn't a blended
design per se, but rather a process of opening the day with a  perfromance
piece instead of a presentation  and then opening the space for action.

Cheers,

Chris

--

CHRIS CORRIGAN