SV: The Pros and Cons of OST? (plus use of the word 'technology')

Allison & Jim Baensch mbody at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 5 19:52:57 PST 2005

Hi Jack,
Just catching up...
Perhaps the sociology you speak of happens to some extent because of
the simplicity and effectiveness of the technology?
When I was a teenager I used to play music (records at that time)
with a good beat to dance to.
While dancing I felt safe enough to move in wild ways that were
somewhat gravity-defying because the beat of the music seemed to hold
me securely.
It was as if the music formed a framework that supported my body in
all directions.
The beat needed to be fairly simple and strong.

For me OST's structure serves a similar purpose.
Once the space has been opened, people can let themselves go.
They don't generally need to worry about what the next meal will be -
refreshments are provided.
Nor do they need to be concerned about how to proceed in a mechanical
sense.
The procedure has been set down within the technology of the event
and then by topics put up by participants.
Some sort of freedom is built into the circle's regular breath or
beat as it expands and contracts, forming and disbanding groups.
Participants can let their hair down and go for creative ideas and
practices.
The OST tool's 'rules' are so simple that they can be remembered
easily (or checked by looking at them on a wall).
And they are organic, so they mean a lot to the self-organising human
body whose 'rules' are somewhat echoed by OST's principles and law.
Seems that way to me.
Allison.