Animals in the open space

Andrew Rixon Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au
Tue Aug 30 18:35:30 PDT 2005

Hi Chris,

Interesting response, you got me thinking... Actually, at our recent
open space there was a Kookaburra which kept appearing...

The Story

The Aboriginal myth is that there was a God named Yindingie who was the
maker of all animals and birds.

At the commencement of time when Yindingie was making the birds, they
were not willing to learn, and seemed to be very hard to please, not
like the other animals, fish and insects.

Some of the birds were content to practice their songs while building
their nests, but others would quarrel with their neighbours over any
little thing.

One of the birds, the Kookaburra were originally never happy.  Although
he was very good looking bird with a very strong beak and wonderful
eyesight, he was upset he was not born with a very fine voice like the
Magpie or Butcher-Bird.

It was at this time a few of the other bush creatures were beginning to
misbehave.  Snake for instance, had decided that Frog would be good to
eat, so he set off after him.

Poor little Frog hopped away as fast as he could, but he knew Snake
would catch him unless he could hid.  He hid under the log.  As Snake
toured around the log, he saw movement in the grass and he pounced on
the movement and held on.

And that was when the Kookaburra burst out laughing!  He laughed and
Laughed, and soon the bush land was filled with a very merry sound.  The
rest of his family flew up, and when they found why Kookaburra was
laughing, they too burst into laughter - for what had happened,
Kookaburra had see the little Frog hop up onto the top of the stump and
then down a hole in it.  And all Snake had caught was his own tail
wrapped around the log!

And that's why the Kookaburra still laughs today.

Funny thing how you mentioned they have all been birds... When looking
into psychologies of people there have been surveys suggesting 4 types
of animal-people metaphor: Eagle , Peacock, Dove & Owl

The Eagle - Swift, aggressive "Ready-Fire" type

The Peacock - Loves to show off

The Dove - Cares much about harmony... Can't say no...

The Owl - Calculating... "Ready-Aim-Aim-Aim-Aim....."

Anyways, apparently a recent survey
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16443267-421,00.html#
<http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16443267-421,00.html>  has
identified 4 key animals, but they weren't birds! :-)

I wonder what our affinity with birds is for the psychology of our inner
space...

Cheers,
Andrew

--

Andrew Rixon B.Sc(hons) PhD

Urban Water Infrastructure

CSIRO- Manufacturing and Infrastructure Technology

http://www.cmit.csiro.au

P.O Box 56 (Graham Road), Highett, 3190, Victoria, Australia

Tel: +61 3 9252 6363

Fax:+ 61 3 9252 6249

Mobile: 0400 352 809

Email: Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au