An OS "critique" and response

Karen Sella karen at luminacoaching.com
Fri Aug 26 17:55:32 PDT 2005

Brilliant, Peggy!

Thank you for taking the time to respond so generously and graciously to
Steve Banks.  I completely agree with you.

For some time, I have offered the perspective that OS is
"2nd-tier"---the principles of OS transcending and including all the
potential 1st-tier interactions---to others in the Integral/SDi
community who share this misconception that OS is a "green" method.   I
have also introduced several "Integral/SDi" folks to Open Space as a
practical method congruent with 2nd-tier thinking that allows people to
more readily embody/enact 2nd-tier, even convening a few Open Space
events on their behalf, and I'm happy to say that some folks seem to
"get it," even though there are still others who maintain that OS is
"green."

One theory I have about this misconception in the realm of integral is
that most of the folks within the Integral/SDi communities who maintain
that OS is "green" have either not experience Open Space or they have
experienced Open Space where the center of gravity of the group in the
room is green and the "integral" folks in the room are confusing the
state/stage of the people in the room with the method. i.e. the fact
that folks may be primarily embodying green during an Open Space event
does not mean that the Open Space method is green, just like "Spiral
Wizards" tailoring their interactions for the predominately green
consciousness of an audience, does not mean that they, the Spiral
Wizards, are operating from green consciousness.

In any case, suffice it to say that I really appreciate reading your
wonderfully articulated and educated written response.

Warm regards,
Karen

Karen Sella
www.luminacoaching.com <http://www.luminacoaching.com/>