Open Space - a minimum? - efficacy of modern medicine

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 08:10:33 PDT 2005

I guess this conversation is 'over' but I am just now catching up with
two weeks' worth of unread emails so here are thoughts from me.

Duff, I experienced Paul's words about medicine as attacking, angry
and space-closing.  My first thought when I read his 'attack' was
'thank goodness he is not attacking me today'.  At first, I was going
to ignore his angry aggression but when I read your kind critique, I
decided that I have a responsbility to my OSlist community to also
share my discomfort with Paul's tone.  I have sometimes gotten private
emails offering support when Paul has attacked me aggressively on this
list and I think it might be best if we all send such messages to the
list.  Transparency is always good, eh?  since I am also sometimes
guilty of being injudicious in my posts to this list, I invite folks
to openly chastise me onlist as well.

About medicine:  allopathic medicine, which seems to be the medicine
Paul gives the most power, is just one approach.  Just as there is no
one 'right' spiritual path for all humans, there is no one right
medical system for all humans.

Actually, I'm sitting here wondering how 'we' could possibly know if
curing polio was a good thing or not.  Everytime human ingenuity
meddles with the laws of nature, consequences are unleashed into the
cosmic whole.  We don't really have any way of knowing what is right
or wrong.