Open Space - a minimum? - efficacy of modern medicine

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 20:32:59 PDT 2005

In a message dated 8/16/05 10:48:26 AM, duff at innergy.ca writes:

> Paul,
>
> I'm a little concerned about the attacking voice of this posting. Especially
> from one that appears to be a voice that is listened to on this list.

Yes, it was probably too forceful.   Certainly not meant as attack.   But was
construed as such by at least yourself.   As for being listened to, well,
that's not my impression, believe me.   I often feel like a voice completely out
of sync with most on this list.

 And a final consideration:

We are now facing overwhelming overpopulation on a worldwide scale, with the
population continuing to grow at an alarming (and increasing) rate. Much of
this is due to the decline in mortality rates. While i am very affected by human
suffering and death, i must question whether it is actually a boon to
humankind to have such runaway growth. Certainly in animal populations such unchecked
growth results in decline and sometimes extinction of a species as the
resources it relies on disappear.

I'm not stating hard opinions but rather raising questions to consider. In
fact, i wouldn't be alive myself without modern medicine as i was the 2nd Rh+
child of an Rh- mother and would have died without a transfusion.

> duff

I believe you are stating opinions, and one of them is that there are too
many people around.   I used to believe that but no longer do.   For complex
philosophical and practical reasons I won't deal with here on list. Suffice it to
say that the animal populations do not have thinking/reasoning brains to deal
with their overpopulation, so the analogy fails.   The UN is busily reducing
it's projections of population growth because 'things are changing'.   At least
so a news item I read recently said.

I appreciate the references and will read them in the future.   I am however
doubtful that man has done very little to increase life and its abundance.
There were people who survived the Plague, who survived polio, etc., but many
did not.   I guess I come down on the side of those who would have died without
the polio vaccine, etc.   But, don't fear, maybe Ebola, or some other equally
deadly disease, will solve the "problem" of too many people.   I sincerely
hope medical science helps me not be part of the solution.   (btw, I've had
three laser surgeries on my very myopic eyes and would likely be blind now and
unable to read this list, so I'm for medicine.)

Sincerely,

Paul