SpaceInvaders

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:57:28 PDT 2005

I think we're in agreement here Harrison about what we do, just not as to
whether we use the term or not

I have been in that dreaded position of actually having a member of the
group, one who weilded much power and influence, grab the mic and try to
demand that we do this another way. And my reaction to it was to think about
what he ws saying and conclude that my responsibility was to the openeing of
space. I thanked him for his thought and suggested that actually most of the
people who had gathered were promised an Open Sapce and that's what we were
here to do. I don't know how happy he was but the group got on with their
work and some very very difficult issues were broached and dealt with.

So I know a little about what Harrison is saying, and to some exten I don;t
disagree with the idea that certain people in certain places are going to
react strongly against our expectations of the event and space will feel
like it is closing. We could call these people space invaders, but if that's
the case, there has only been that one person. On another occaision a person
derailed the process ina perfectly acceptable way, stepping out from the
circle and naming the fact that sponsor had not levelled with the group and
that there was a need for the group to talk about the sponsor's agenda
before opening space. As it happened the sponsor had in fact pulled me aside
just prior to the beginning of the meeting and shared information with me
that was completley at odds with what the group was thinking. In that case
my partner and I simply acknowledged the truth of the situation and left the
room. I think what we did was to offer the group the space that the sponsor
had in fact, in secret, already closed.

I guess my take on the whole thing is that the term "space invader" doesn't
quite catch the nuances of these interventions and it doesn't capture the
complexity of the dynamics that the situations embody. When one is in the
moment, all kinds of thoughts arise: did we do this right? Is the problem
with our framing of the issue? Did I screw up? Is this person insnae?

The judging mind is moving at a million miles and hour. The intuitive heart
is blocked, hiding, smothered by questions and anxiety. If one can access
that part of one's tool box - the intuitive discerning heart - then a way
forward will suggest itself. Simply labelling the situation "space invader"
and acting out of that place hasn't been helpful to me, and I appreciate
Harrison's explication of these nuances..

So in the end, yes, I have banished the term. But what I have tried to
develop in it's place is a more open approach to the situation at hand.

After all, it's Harrison's own advice, that when conflict arises, open a
little more space. The trick is finding out where that space needs to be and
how much "doing" I am being called to..

Chris

On 8/9/05, Larry Peterson <larry at spiritedorg.com> wrote:

>  It was a marvelous OSonOS, to be sure. Much learning and connection.
>
>  I was somewhat of a "space invader" at Lisa's session. I arrived late,
> got to get, respond to and pass on a question. I then remembered I had a
> report to write and left.
>
>  I have some difficulty of the term "malignant space invader" but I agree
> with the direction of the view. "Space Invader" still reminds me of the
> early video game and shooting one down is now what were are talking about
> here. However, I recently experienced, during an Opening process (when
> folks were at the wall), one person in a relatively small group trying to
> organize all the topics into a logical format that allowed him to go to
> every session he wanted to. He was a tall, spiritually deep and respected
> part of the event and everyone was following his attempts and organizing the
> wall. I gently tapped him on the shoulder and asked to talk with him. When
> I suggested that there might be advantages to letting the order emerge
> rather than him organizing it for the group he immediately understood what I
> was saying. In the closing circle, he and a dear friend of his both saw
> that emergent order was possible and that going with the flow could create
> surprising results. He appreciated my "tap" and what he learned about
> himself. Guiding group spiritual practice can lead to attempts to control
> and he saw the possibilities of going with a deeper flow. His friend now
> saw some further steps he needed to take in his journey. Were that it was
> so easy always.
>
>  I do think it is the role of the OST facilitator to "open" the space and
> to me this is part of the opening – dealing with those who would try to
> control it before the momentum begins.
>
>  Larry
>
>  Larry Peterson
>
> Associates in Transformation