OSonSO Proceedings - Day 2, Part 1

Viv McWaters viv at thereef.com.au
Fri Aug 5 20:14:09 PDT 2005

Thanks again for the wonderful report on Day 2 - and in return, a few
reflections.

I'm finding the reports a great way to 'experience' OSonOS from afar
and am grateful to the wonderful folks who make this possible - I don't
think it would be quite the same if they arrived after the event. It
helps, for me, to picture the people I know, and imagine those I don't,
in a place I've never seen...

I now recognise how important it is to list the names of those present
in a discussion.

I can clearly see Lisa's session on questioning and space invaders - I
can see Raffi and Peggy earnestly discussing training in Moscow (with
Raffi writing everything down!) - I can see Lisa's other session on
drawing, picturing people on the floor, drawing tentatively at first,
staring into space (or 'the space') for inspiration, I would have loved
to hear about the large open space events, and I can 'see' all the
other conversations. Oh, it helps too to get an email from Brian with
some of the other 'unofficial' bits that help build a rich picture for
me.

And a session on improv! Oooohhh!!! Last year I went to an  improv in
business conference that included a day of open space - that's where I
realised that OST is improv and I've been playing with using improv
games to explain the Principles and Law of Two Feet. BTW, this year's
improv conference in NY will include three days of OS. My favourite
book at the moment is called 'Improv Wisdom: don't prepare, just show
up' by Patricia Ryan Madson. The improv maxims are a great guide for OS
too: say yes, don't prepare, just show up, start anywhere, be average,
pay attention, wake up to the gifts, act now, take care of each other
and enjoy the ride

I am enjoying the ride - hope you are too.

Cheers

Viv

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665 Torquay 3228
Australia
(03) 5261 9498
0417 135 406

"Thus the task is not so much to see what no one yet has seen, but to
think what nobody yet has thought about that which everybody sees. "
Schopenhauer