Inviting Topics for helping social agencies work together?

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sun Aug 28 14:03:18 PDT 2005

Hi--

A couple days ago I had lunch with a lady who is head of a volunteer center
which gets volunteers for all the social service agencies in the county.
She said that the major conversation that needs to happen in town is How
can we work together better as social agencies? She sees turf wars as
preventing working together.

So I am curious what inviting topics you have seen people have that gathers
passion and responsibility around getting social agencies working together.

It occurred to me we need to get specific when we invite conversations on
this question--"turf wars" is too general, people cannot really get a
handle on it, as something that might have a solution. It feels too much
like this is the environment we live in: how can fish do anything about the
water?

So, for example, it might be better to ask people, What are the issues and
opportunities for addressing violence in our County?

We need a specific question, a tight focus, but something with breadth and
depth: focus on one flower with deep roots and many petals. We are looking
for a water lily question.

In other words, if we found a live question, even one of life and death for
the people we invited, a specific issue that perhaps does not even feel
like it is the underlying problem (not working together), all to show that
it is possible to work together. Later, point to the story created as the
exemplar in the future.

                              :-Doug. Germann
                              Seeking people making community change.