Open Space Community?

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 06:09:24 PDT 2005

One of the recurrent themes showing up here on OSLIST and more recently in Halifax at OSONOS with a continuation in a marvelous project initiated by Birgitt Williams to gather and preserve the Story of OS -- has been community, are we such a thing, and what would that mean anyhow? Personally, I have always been more than a little mystified as to what drives this discussion. At one level, I find myself being quite content with the simple minded view, "We are what we are." If this constitutes "community" that is wonderful. If it doesn't, that is fine too.  But in either case, I take great pleasure in the ongoing associations, interactions, comaraderie, and  support of this curious band of folks who have chosen over the years to explore the world of Open Space or maybe better -- explore the Open Space of the world.  I can certainly see great value in exploring the nature of our life together very much in the manner of doing a natural history, which is what I understand Brigitt to have proposed, and I salute her for the effort. And by any reasonable standards it is certainly a remarkable story. Constantly changing in terms of participants, size, focus, interests -- the "X" group (to avoid for the moment that wonderful word, "community") has existed for 20 years, convened innumerable gatherings for training, research and sharing. Provided support and sustenance to millions of people all across the globe which seemingly includes them, if only for the duration of an "event" within the totally permiable boundaries of the X Group. Some choose to remain, others choose to go -- and many seem hardly aware that they were, ""inside" of anything -- but they do know, and will never forget, that they were touched. Very odd, especially considering the fact that there has been only the merest wisp of formal structure and a leadership that is most obvious in its absense -- and yet it all works. At least it has certainly worked for me.

Coming to a deeper understanding of what has transpired in our midst (wherever that might be) can only be rewarding. But is this community? I think so, but I must admit that it really doesn't make any difference to me. I like things just the way they are -- knowing that they (things) are constantly changing and will never been the same. Permanence doesn't seem to be part of the picture except for the curious phenomenon that everytime space is opened "it" happens. Strange.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854