An OS "critique" and response

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 12:22:00 PDT 2005

You'll need to do some reading on Spiral Dynamics (SD) to get all this, but
essentially, as a way of looking at human development, SD is a map in which
there are several levels (or memes). They move from the development of the
earliest kinds of human societies (which tend to be the most insular)
through a gradual unfolding of individual and collective consciouness of
bigger and bigger wholes. Green meme folks are people who value diversity
and multiplicity (as opposed to red meme, which values close tribal and
family affiliations). Green is alos the meme at which the first tier (1t)
ends.

The second tier of consciouness begins with the yellow meme in which people
become aware of the map and the integrity of all the previous memes
(including the potential of the ones not yet uncovered). What distingusihes
1t from 2t, basically, is that people in 1t memes generally can't see the
benefit in other memes but their own and they often become defensive about
where they are at. In 2t, supposedly, people CAN see all the memes and can
readily include the views of folks at all different levels.

That's a short and unjust summary of Spiral Dynamics. It won't save you the
$100 you could shell out for Don Beck's book on the subject, but it should
give you a little more language for navigating this, admittedly, esoteric
conversation.

--

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation