What are the possibilities of using Open Space Technology in the elementary school classroom?

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Fri Aug 5 07:12:26 PDT 2005

Pat Black wrote:

> I have used Open Space quite a bit in the classroom at all ages and it
> has always worked.  There is an interesting infant/ toddler care and
> preprimary municipal funded education system in Italy with quite a bit
> of history that is operated on self-organizing and open space
> principles.  It is Reggio Emilia.  The Hundred Languages of Children:
> The Reggio Emilia Approach edited by Carolyn Edwards might be of
> interest to those interested in this topic.  There are Reggio Approach
> schools all of the world at this point since they have been around for
> some 40 odd years.
> Pat Black
>
> *

What synchronicity...several years ago I was involved in a project that
lead to the building of an early childhood education and child care
center that is a joint venture of Head Start, the local mental
retardation and developmental disabilities agency, the YWCA, the
Columbus Public Schools and others (see chap 14 of Future Search in
School District Change).  They adopted Reggio Emilia as their approach,
which affected the building architecture, the landscaping and the
leadership group of the partnership.  While future search played an
important role in how the project came together, the leadership group
hosts an annual planning retreat that is conducted in Open Space.  This
year's retreat was last week and the book is coming together at this
very moment.

As an aside, the leadership group meets monthly and instead of using
Robert's Rules to guide their work they have adopted David Bohm's
Principles of Dialogue as refined by Isaacs, Gerard, Ellinor and others.

Chris Kloth