Learning to expand our NOW

Peter Wallman peter at passionmaps.com
Tue Apr 26 01:23:32 PDT 2005

Harrison

I agree with the fragmentation of past, present and future - i think
it is particularly evident in the US. I just pulled out my
Trompenaars - "Riding the Waves of Culture" and looked up the chapter
on Time. In it he has some interesting Venn diagrams of individual
cultural interpretations of time. These show the extent of overlap
and the relative importance of each aspect of time. The intention is
to give guidance to people doing business in these cultures.

If his research is correct it is clearly not just Western countries
or influences, eg Russia, China, Netherlands and USA seem to be among
the most fragmented, France, Malaysia, South Korea and Venezuela
among the least. I am fascinated by what drivers would produce these
differences - language? culture? history? media? And perhaps this has
changed since 1993 when the book was written?

And the biggest NOWs (ie presents relative to pasts and futures) -
Indonesia, Venezuela, Netherlands and Spain!!

Will read your book to illuminate myself further,

Peter

peter at passionmaps.com
www.passionmaps.com