What a facilitator does when she holds space

Doris Gottlieb dlgottlieb at chello.nl
Mon Apr 25 13:42:02 PDT 2005

Hi Raffi,
I guess my first thought regarding this is that for the word God is a very
loaded one indeed. In the way you mean it I can understand your picture, but
it is not the picture that comes to my mind when I begin to think of God -
my own experiences and feelings about this concept are not as positive or
value free as what you try to describe. But this has lead me to thinking
about what he "saw" you do as a facilitator that he couldn't understand.  I
wonder in this situation if it isn't an idea to ask the participant what he
thinks the facilitator does? What is he seeing/not seeing that raises this
question.

To me personally I think of the facilitator in Open Space as the last little
piece of the large container we are creating wherein the "system" can
organize. The way the room is set up, the way the chairs are set, the
physicality of the 'space' are then complimented by the facilitator whose
role is to be there and trust the system to find it's way.  Maybe like a
witness? I think that is more my vision of it.  A witness for me is a
powerful metaphor - not a witness in court but a witness as being someone
who watches attentively as something happens.  In authentic movement (a sort
of movement therapy) the movement always takes place in the presence of a
witness with whom the participant can speak afterwards, someone with whom
there is an understanding of what went on and who can empathize with the
experience.  I don't know if that is helpful to you.  For me a witness can
also watch grass grow and be attentive to it, without being God (a term
which in my mind brings up a lot of  -- perhaps unintentional and inaccurate
visions - of a controlling outcomes.

Hope this is helpful,

Doris