Visualisation techniques for facilitation

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 12:24:48 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/19/05 10:12:46 PM, Andrew.Rixon at csiro.au writes:

> I was wondering whether you have any good ( or otherwise :) ) references for
> work investigating:
>
>  1. The value of using visualisation techniques in group facilitation?
>  2. The effects of using visualisation on brainstorming processes within
> group facilitation?
>  3. Visualisation techniques for group facilitation?

Andrew--

Can't help with further references re: graphic facilitation.   I do have some
references about using guided imagery and other visualization techniques for
group facilitation:

Creating Shared Vision, Marjorie Parker--Using imagery to facilitate an
organizational visioning process, includes case study with a Norwegian
organization.

Visionizing, Sidney J. Parnes--Using imagery with brainstorming.   This book,
by the longtime director of the Creative Education Foundation, and perhaps
some of the other books, is available from the CEF: http://www.cef-cpsi.org

Imagery and Creative Imagination, Joe Khatena--a research-oriented book with
many activities that can be used in facilitation.

Conceptual Blockbusting, James L. Adams--especially the section on Visual
Thinking in Chapter 7, "Alternate Thinking Languages."

The Practice of Creativity, George M. Prince--using Synectics activities in
group facilitation

I have personally used guided imagery with groups working on solving problems
or creating new ideas.   I particularly like to begin the process of
developing vision and goals by having members or an organization visualize the future
state of the organization, and share those images with others.   Working first
in a nonverbal mode seems to help identify the shared visions that are held
by group members, who may be in frequent conflict about day-to-day issues.

Today, I am more likely to use OST for the purposes of tapping creativity and
identifying visions of the future.   But I have had good results in the past
incorporating imagery processes into group facilitation, and am happy to
discuss this further with you, off-list, if you wish.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington, USA
jleshelton at aol.com
360-426-8517