anonyme posting

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Apr 6 22:05:39 PDT 2005

Hello, dear Agnetta --

You wrote:
< One of the students asked me a question I really couldn't answer -
yes, I answered, but I am not satisfied. She asked: what if one made an
OS on a workplace where they had sexual harassments, and somebody wanted
to post the issue but didn't dare. Could that person post it
anonymously? If not, why? I tried to answer her, I talked about passion
and responsibility and possible problems.and I told her that it was a
very tricky question. What would you answer?>

I have had people not be able to stand in front of the group to post,
but they have had the courage to write a topic and to appear at the
designated discussion area when it is time. So they had the passion and
took the responsibility but just couldn't feel comfortable standing in
front of the crowd and naming it.  So in these instances I have
announced the issue for them and then given the paper back to them to
post wherever on the agenda wall.

This is a bit similar but of course the person had to show up ultimately
for the session to begin it.

We all know how people have to find a way to name things and be there
for the conversation, otherwise people would just name sessions and
never take responsibility to engage - they would just say 'people should
talk about x' and not be there to help it happen.

And/but here you have a delicate situation IF the person feels
vulnerable saying the topic or being in the group or anything, perhaps.

The next best thing I can think of is to recommend the person find
someone they know who is not uncomfortable with hosting the subject, and
to ask that person if they'd like to post/host it.

The other part of my thinking is that I would try to do the same
thorough pre-work as for every OS event to see what is the best theme,
sense what the elephant / moose / skeleton (hidden) issues are, and to
be informed as much as possible in that way when choosing words to open
the space.

Other than that, I would tell the person how proud I am that they think
of bringing this issue into conversation and I support them in doing so
wherever and in whatever way they can where they might feel safe or
courageous - even if that safety and courage means they do not post it.
Oftentimes something really important gets talked about all the way
through an Open Space even if it is not posted - it just comes up in
many sessions throughout the day...because the intention is there to
talk about it.

Great question.

What do others think?

Lisa