Welfare

Cheryl Honey wecare at familynetwork.org
Wed Apr 13 10:38:53 PDT 2005

Funda:

This may be a rabbit trail, however, it's close to my heart.

It's unfortunate that the American culture has created a consumer mentality
around the term "welfare" I've based all my work on the notion that welfare
is all about people helping people. I created the Good Neighbors Net
www.goodneighborsnet.org  as a mechanism for connecting people together who
want to share goods, services and resources with others to save time and
money. The intent is to weave a new safetynet. One that prevents people from
falling into a welfare "system" This safetynet functions as a grassroots
welfare system that assists individuals or good intentions for the common
good of all on a global scale.

It wasn't until I was introduced to Open Space by Peggy Holman that I
realized what I had been doing for the past decade in my Transformative
Community Building work. Open Space principles are at the core of my
approach to creating a framework where...whoever shows up are the right
people...when it's over its over...etc. This new  "social architectural" is
how I refer to it opens the space up for the emergence of a new social order
out of which manifests "happenings. Whatever happens happens and believe me
I've witnessed some amazing things doing this work! As people take
responsibility for what they love...incredible happenings occur. I'm
grateful to have responded to the impulse that caused me to take action when
I was on welfare. If people were connected to one another...would we really
need a "welfare" system?

Cheryl Honey, Ambassador for Peace
Family Support Network

"The more resourceful we are among ourselves, the more valuable a resource
we become to our families, our communities and our world."