access

john engle englejohn at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:01:34 PDT 2005

or maybe those who couldn't come were:

1) modern day slaves - there's tens of millions of them around the world
2) too hungry and weak to be aware of the meeting and to get there - there's
hundreds of millions or more in this category
3) too humiliated because they were part of the wrong social class and knew
that there would be people who did not make them feel welcome because of
their accent, color of skin, state of their clothes, lack of education,
coming from the wrong family or ethnic background, etc. - again, hundreds of
millions in this category
4) were behind prison bars, be they guilty or not guilty of a crime
5) know that they could not travel because of roadblocks, checkpoints,
general insecurity
6) unable to read the invitation - last credible stats i read were that
nearly one billion of the world's population does not read in their mother
tongue
7) unable to even conceive of having the luxury of time for a half day or
day long meeting given they work 6 days a week and make less than US$1 per
day - again, a good portion of the world.

and while many among these seven categories might overlap, i'm sure that
others on this list could come up with other categories of people who don't
have the luxury of "caring" for anything beyond survival in the moment.

is there a way that we who are on this oslist, who might not be subject to
any of the above conditions/restrictions can make sure that we're forever
aware of people who would love to have the luxury of being a part of these
wonderful experiences in os that we've all had? how do we do this? so many
of you have been involved in making os experiences accessible to people who
are normally the outcasts of society.... lisa heft, kerry, joelle, harrison,
peggy, chris, doug... fortunately, the list is long. and let's commit
ourselves to continue to push the envelope on this one.

john

http://JohnEngle.blogspot.com - Reflections about Haiti, life, and our work.
http://JohnEngle.info
http://TheExperiment.info