Wiki help

Jennifer Hurley JLHurley at hfadesign.com
Mon Oct 25 10:01:40 PDT 2004

Hello everyone.  So many people asked to be involved in the Wiki discussion,
that I decided to post what I learned back to the list.

I was looking for a place to start a Wiki that (1) was free, at least
initially, (2) was easy to use, i.e. didn't require learning to use html,
and (3) was hosted by someone else, as I don't have my own web server.

Through much googling and reading Wiki how-to's, I found
http://www.seedwiki.com/.  It has the easiest formatting set-up of any of
the hosted Wikis I found.  Unfortunately, the GUI (graphic user
interface--like what's in Windows or Mac OS) only works on PCs, so any Mac
user has to learn a bit of html.

For people who want to learn more about what a wiki is, see the entry in the
"Wikipedia": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki.  BTW, I think the
"Wikipedia" is about the coolest thing ever.  It's a free encyclopedia that
anyone can edit and add to, so it's constantly being expanded and updated.

I appreciated Chris's comments about the care and feeding a Wiki needs.  I'm
a member of an urban planning listserv that over the last year has had
intense discussions about a concept in urban planning called the
"rural-urban transect".  It's a concept that's in development, so there are
lots of questions about how to define it, what it means, how to use it, etc.
The listserv is great for linear discussions, but I wanted to be able to
collect all of the questions and answers in one place to "grow" the concept.
I love blogging, but I was looking for something that was more a product of
group collaboration.  Which brings up one of the paradoxes of Open Space.
Everything in the world works on passion and responsibility, and nothing
gets done unless an individual has the passion and takes responsibility.
And yet . . . what groups do when they collaborate is so much more than the
sum of individual actions.  Now that's magic!

Thanks for all of the insight people offered.  If someone has experience
with a particular Wiki, I'd love to hear it.  And if you want to check on
the development of my fledgling, see:
http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?doc=Transect&wikiid=7789&CFID=243707&CFTOKE
N=23344606&jsessionid=8830ff9a406f$0E$7Fg$

I'd especially love to hear (off-list) what questions non-city planners have
when they read about the transect concept.

Jennifer Hurley
-------------------------------
Hurley~Franks and Associates
Planning & Urban Design

1429 Walnut St., Ste. 601
Philadelphia, PA 19102

P: 215-988-9440
JLHurley at HFAdesign.com
http://www.hfadesign.com

Association for the New Urbanism in PennsylvaniA (ANUPA)
http://www.anupa.org

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
and/or proprietary information.  If you have received this in error, please
contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from
any system it may be on.