Leadership and Power

Therese Fitzpatrick theresefitz at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:30:18 PDT 2004

Just off the top of my head, John, I am thinking that people who aspire to
leadership roles because they want to shape (control?) how power is used are
not the kind of leaders I think human collectives (such as organizations)
need.  If someone is attracted to power, I don't see how they can really be
leading:  what they are really doing is following their passion for power,
although they might very well suppress this motivation even inside
themselves. The tricky part is that so many people suppress their inner
attraction to power, presenting themselves to the world as the person with
the right ideas or the person who cares.

The leader who is attracted to the power of their own ideas and beliefs and
thereby attracts other people to them because others are interested in their
ideas and beliefs are what I think of a natural leaders.  Someone who is
called from within to build their ideas and share them are the kinds of
leaders I want to see in the world.  Such a person is a leader even if they
do not attract followers.

Applying my underdeveloped idea to the American presidential race (with
apologies from folks in other nations), I think both the major party
candidates are motivated by their attraction to power.  Nader, while not a
purely quixotic figure, is, in my opinion, motivated by a compelling inner
drive rooted in the power of his ideas.

The leaders who garner my attention and respect are people lit from within,
people who build their lives around their own inner impulses.