Leadership and Power

David Morgan tiesdm at msn.com
Fri Oct 15 11:16:43 PDT 2004

Hi Folks...

Fascinated discussion regarding power...

My experience is a bit different. I see power as manifested from fear,
insecurity, and a supreme lack of imagination. Fear and insecurity requires
an element of control. Control strips away passion and undermines
imagination. When we lack passion we relinguish responsibility.

Dave.

>From: Funda Oral <fundaokan at superonline.com>
>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>Subject: Re: Leadership and Power
>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:21:36 +0300
>
>I couldn't read the other messages but I wanted to share what came to my
>mind when I read this
>
>Leadership and Power is a stupid dream created collaborately by those
>
>* who are too lazy to think to create a life for themselves or who are
not
>given enough space or opportunity to do so
>and
>* who are so blind or so fascinated by power and by the need to be
>appreciated and applauded that they believe they must create a life
>a destiny for others.
>
>or in another way of saying;
>
>* those who think they know better and are more powerfull
>and
>* the others who think they don't know, they aren't good enough,
powerfull
>enough etc.

and "power." One
>of
> > things that I have learned in Open Space is that Leadership
appears at the
> > crossroads of passion and responsibility. Or putting it another
way, the
> > leader is one who claims his passion with responsibility. By doing
so, he
>or
> > she opens some space for something new to appear. There is no
guarantee
>that
> > the new will make an appearance, or that if it does, it will be
useful,
>but
> > the potential is there. When the space is open and the new (plan,
action,
> > program, idea) stikes a resonant chord with those who share the
passion in
> > responsible way -- things begin to move. Or -- we might say, power
begins
> > flow. Power, from where I sit, is quite simply the motive force
which
> > energizes life. I guess that is a tautology, but it is as good as
I can
>do.
> > Point is nobody owns it, and for sure nobody can really control
it. Under
> > the best of circumstances, we can only open some space in which
power may
> > flow. We might even channel it a bit, but that is about all.
> >
> > A major point is that the Leader certainly doesn't own it (power).
For
>power
> > is always the collective juices entering an an attractive open
space to
>get
> > some job done, thought thought, plan made. Looking at power and
leadership
> > in the terms I have suggested makes it crystal clear that
Leadership is
>not
> > (nor has it ever been) position, titual, a matter of confered
status.
> > Leadership is an action which all of us can, do, and must take. So
>speak
> > of The Leadership, or The Leader as a predetermined reality is
idiocy. For
> > sure, those designated (falsely I think) as Leaders can lead, and
>hopefully
> > they do. But they have no corner on the market, and waiting for
them to
>lead
> > (or blaming them when they don't) is a simple abdication of our
right and
> > responsibility -- to lead.
> >
> > Harrison
> >

> > Harrison Owen
> > 7808 River Falls Drive
> > Potomac, Maryland   20845
> > Phone 301-365-2093
> >
> > Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> > Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> > Personal website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen/index.htm
> > OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:
> > http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html

Leadership