More Leadership, Less Power

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 09:36:38 PDT 2004

John Engle posed a critical question: what is the relationship
between leadership and power.

In the context of Open Space and mature leadership, leadership and
power ought to be an oxymoron, but hardly ever is.  Let me explain as
follows: a strong leader gives power away to people to achieve
balanced decision making, commitment and develop potential.  In order
to "get," you must first "give."

Sadly, most leaders see power in ego terms, something they are
entitled to have and wield. Power is seen as an "exclusive right,"
not to be shared unless forced into a corner.  As a result, we have a
hierarchical, lopsided world, often excluding and alienating the best
and rewarding the worse.

When are we going to bury the concept of the "strong" leader and
celebrate the fully participative team?

Apologies for this minor rant on a pet peeve.

Regards

Kerry
Edinburgh