Reflections on OSonOS

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Wed Oct 6 14:56:53 PDT 2004

Dear friends in Open Space
A few hours ago I returned from an OST meeting. Now I´ve sent the
documentation to all the participants, which is a great feeling. It´s always
good to know there will be lots of surprised faces at the computers tomorrow
morning.

I wish to thank you all for this and all the other wonderful conversations
on the list. I have not always time to follow but keep hanging on. I also
enjoy showing up at OSonOS´s. Thanks Alex for bringing this up! For me it
was so clear that I wanted to meet all the wonderful people sharing so
generously on this list. So I´ve been to 4 (took part in organizing last
years "party").

I may have mentioned it before but this list was actually one of the main
reasons why I had the courage to leave my job and start my consulting
business, back in 1999, strongly focusing on Open Space and the Genuine
Contact program. To be so closely connected to so many wonderful people
willing to share at all times was a very good advantage when starting, and
still is.

For me OSonOS is great in many ways but I think the main thing, for me, is
to strengthen the sense of community. It is more about being - as Paul
pointed out. But of course one I´m there i don´t always settle with that, I
go hunting too.

When I talk to sponsors I usually say that 1/2 day of OST can be enough e g
when the only purpose it to share experiences in a great way. During
OSonOS´s we have 3 days... And I think it´s great. I wouldn´t go around the
globe for a half day and it takes more to build community, I think. The
space is open for any more focused topics which could also be marketed in
advance to increase the possibility of the right people showing up - and it
could be the choice for the days for some people. For me a more focused
theme would feel like closing the space down a bit.

If someone has a really urgent question, I guess the space is always open to
invite...at any time, any place. I might come!

I also wish to thank Therese about her postings regarding the opening and
closing. I agree that activities should not be forced upon us although I
think the law applies even there. I would find it difficult to leave because
I so much enjoy listening to everyone else. I think making a long - "off the
record "weird" thing" is quite close to space-invading. I think we should
give people more of a choice. I also agree to what was said about the lovely
start in Vancouver as well as in Melbourne.

There is so much I´d like to comment and I need to go to bed, tomorrow I
will facilitate a follow up meeting!

One more thing: I think it is quite interesting that I have heard
OST-facilitators complaining that groups they´ve been to were no good. What
do we tell participants when we facilitate? Passion and responsibility. I´ve
sometimes left groups during OSonOS because I did not find space when I
wished to say something. As those of you who were to OSonOS in Denmark know
I usually give the groups the opportunity to use some easy "tips for a good
dialogue" which I think help. The main one is to invite the convenor to
start by inviting everyone to say his/her name and why they choose to come
to this topic. I think that makes a big difference in the discussion that
follows - everyone is heard and you know a bit more about each other and
what each and everyone has brought to the party. Today I heard some of the
groups start in this way and it gives a really respectful start everyone
listening eagerly to each other. OK it may be hard with a group of 2108;-)

Finally I wish to acknowledge the increadible work that Janet and everyone
involved in organizing the 12th OSonOS has put down. Very very nice it
seemed. I wish I could have been there and I know what it takes.
Warmest regards to you all - see you in Halifax for OSon OS and not
something else (according to my wish)
Thomas Herrmann         Phone +46 (0)709-98 97 81
Open Space Consulting   Fax   +46 (0)300-713 89
Pensévägen 4
434 46 Kungsbacka, Sweden
Email: thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
www.openspaceconsulting.com