My reflections on the Goa OSonOS

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Tue Oct 5 21:20:58 PDT 2004

Hi all

Thinking on this the other day, it struck me how fantastic a thing the
OSonOS is in itself. That so many people voluntarily arrange, host and
attend an annual international meeting of this kind is very rare, and is
proof of the power of Open Space and self-organization.

The fact remains, though, that in its current form the OSonOS ain't
working for me :-)  This may be a fault of the OSonOS or it may be
because I haven't quite managed to navigate that gathering, or even
because I have unresolved issues with myself. I frankly don't know. All
I can do is acknowledge my frustration and put my observations out
there, and I'm perfectly open to the possibility that "maybe it's just
me". :-)

Distilling some of the reactions both on the list and at the conference
itself, I see two lines of thinking turning up repeatedly, which are:
1: The OSonOS is a place to meet fellow OS'ers and learn and exchange
experiences. As Harrison wrote: They came because they wanted to be with
friends and colleagues in Open Space, share stories, deepen their
understanding of the approach and applications, and I am sure many more
things.

2: The OSonOS could benefit from a powerful theme, which might
invigorate the discussions and lend a sense of purpose to the
conference. As Gabriela wrote: it came into my mind, that I missed
something like an exciting "main theme". Of course it is an OST on OST.
But from my personal point of view I would prefer to have each year a
new "powerful question" on top of >OSonOS<. This title should give
enough space for diversity, but could give  an orientation and direction
for new and deep conversations (space for sharing deep experiences, for
telling stories, and for creativity).

And while I definitely subscribe to #2, my main point is that these two
are not contradictory. They are complementary.

My main learning from the OSonOSes I've attended (and thanks Zelle for
asking about it) is that OST-meetings do indeed require a sense of
urgency to work. What draws me to these meetings, is the passion and the
sense of community that comes from working together on something that is
critically important and must be done now. And the OSonOS'es I've seen
don't supply that. This makes the whole experience seem a little "flat"
although still undeniably pleasant and worthwhile. My problem isn't so
much with what the OSonOS is - it's the gap between that and what it
could be, if it had the intensity and energy I know from OST-meeting
that do have that sense of urgency.

If nothing else, taking a closer look at the OSonOS may help us to
define somewhat closer it's purpose, even if we decide not to change a
thing.

Cheers

Alex (loving it right here on this planet :-) )

Alexander Kjerulf

alexander at kjerulf.com
http://www.positivesharing.com

+45 2688 2373