law of two feet in big circles

Therese Fitzpatrick theresefitz at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 15:36:43 PDT 2004

I'd like to hear from folks on this list.  Whazzup with the law of two feet
in morning and evening circles?

I agree with Alex that it applies in the big circles and I agree with Alex
that it always applies (I happen to think OS is the way reality works and in
reality each of us are free to do exactly what feels right to us in each
moment). . .

Even if the nature of reality suggests that the law of two feet applies also
in morning and evening OS circles, what about cultural norms?  I know I can
remove myself from an end-of-the-day reflection circle and I sometimes do
leave when things start to happen that are beyond the scope of individuals
reflecting on their day in OS.   Sometimes a small play will take over. . .
that is no longer individuals reflecting on their day.  Sometimes there is
lots of singing. . . that is no longer individual reflections upon the day.
. . I love small plays.  I love to sing new songs in groups.  But I like to
hear individual reflections on their day in OS and whereas I have all day to
go to marketplace sessions about plays and songs, I just get the one
opportunity to have a reflection circle.

In my personal cosmology, it is rude to dominate a circle of people gathered
to reflect upon their shared day in OS because, as Alex points out, even
though the law of two feet still applies during the reflection circle,
taking up the group's attention for something other than reflection is, at
the very least, not fair play.

As I waited too long for a bus this afternoon, I had an insight into why the
OSONOS circles seem to be veering into what seems 'weird' to some.  I
haven't been to an OSONOS but I have been to eight Spirited Work gatherings
which has a similar dynamic of many of the same people going over and over
and many people becoming more and more familiar with the concept of OS.  I
have noticed a tendency amongst my SW cohorts to slip into sloppy thinking
and to think that OS means anything and everything that they want it to mean
in every single solitary moment.  Just because one is among friends and
among lovely OS believers does not mean that one can be more sloppy in one's
consideration of one's fellow human being.   And, again, I fall back on my
comfort of sticking with a form once it is created.

Some people think sticking to a form is being rigid or anal retentive and/or
somehow wrong/bad.  Over and over in my life I have found tremendous inner
power from holding myself to a bit of discipline.  See my previous
discussion of holding to form.  Holding to a brilliantly simple form like OS
  can yield simply brilliant results.

So.  What do folks have to say about law of two feet in morning and
reflection circles?!